Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What is the world coming to - and how can I help it get there?

So last week, during the show "24," Maricopa County (otherwise known as Phoenix) issued an Amber Alert. Someone had kidnapped a young hispanic child and no one could find his mother either. They did it twice during the hour that the show was on, and it was your typical "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep 'this is an amber alert' then all the details (including the woman struggling to pronounce the names, stumbling over words, etc.) beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

What I should have been thinking:

"Oh no, that poor child, I should to out and start looking for him. I'm so glad we have the technology to make people aware when something like this happens, I bet they find him right away because of it. I don't mind the words flashing across the screen or the beeping or any of it. We have an amazing world with an amazing alert system. Thank goodness."

What I was actually thinking:

"SERIOUSLY?? During 24? I can't hear a WORD Jack Bauer is saying and I what he's saying is important because EVERY SECOND of 24 is important. This is really bothering me and that BEEPING NOISE! Make it stop! She can't even pronounce the Spanish name. LIKE IT'S WRITTEN LADY, LIKE IT'S WRITTEN. Where did you learn to read? OH MY GOSH STOP TALKING. Oh his MOTHER is missing too?? And you can't pronounce HER name? ACK! Now Jack is torturing someone and I don't know why because of the BEEEEEEPIIINNNGGGG!!! I get it I get it, it's an Amber Alert you already SAID THAT. stopitstopitstopit"

I am going to hell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Yes you are. I have your name down right here in the reservation book.

But don't beat yourself up about it. You'll have plenty of company. And it's not that much different than Phoenix.

Anne said...

Yup. You are going to hell.

Anonymous said...

He's right, you know - plenty of company. I'll be there, so at least you'll be with friends!

janaya said...

i like to think that when it says the Lord knows the intents of our hearts that it also means he's taking in to consideration the importance of jack bauer in situations such as this.