Sunday, July 16, 2006

Dreaming of Superman

See the look on my face in this picture? My spazzy look? The one I usually reserve for Disneyland (where I happen to be in this picture)? Yeah that's how I'm feeling right now and my husband is passed out in bed. So, a-blogging I go.

I had an absoluetely INSANE week at work (I've started doing my new job along with my old job along with other people's jobs . . . and this will continue for quite some time I fear!) It was crazy, but I did get to call Rhonda's work and ask for her . . . and when the receptionist asked who was calling I said "First Mate Kate." (Rhonda dared me to do this.) When she said "Excuse me?" I articulated.

First

Mate

Kate

Her reaction was a puzzled "Ok . . . hold one a second please?"

I did it again the next day to another one of the receptionists. I think this might become a habit.

ANYWAY, after the heinous week I was hoping for a fun weekend. I think my mission has been accomplished . . .

Friday night we were planning to go see "You, Me and Dupree" with Rhonda. We were meeting for dinner at 7:30 and had tickets to the 9:35 show. At 6:30 Rhonda called with some bad news. Her brand new Mini wasn't starting! She was stranded in a parking lot waiting for AAA, so Matt and I decided to go rescue her and our evening! We waited for a while until the tow truck got there (I would like to mention we have had record hot days for about the past week. And for those of you who think record hot is like 106, think 120 . . . at night after the sun goes down. Yeah. And poor Rhonda was stuck without AC until Matt and I could get there) so needless to say she needed rescuing. We sat in my car hoping it wouldn't run out of gas . . . then the tow truck arrived and the driver was VERY serious about the business of towing cars. We learned all kinds of new things. Most of all to "relax and get confortable" while looking for your tow hook . . . then we grabbed some food and barely made it to the movie before it started. Which also means we were on the FRONT ROW since it was opening night. Oh and on the very edge of the front row. The actors look very large and very distorted from that view . . .

ANYWAY, I thought the movie was hilarious and I know Rhonda did too. Matt even chuckled a few times (those of you who know him will realize that means this movie was pretty freakin' hilarious to get that sort of outburst out of my husband) so we were all happy we went and Rhonda and I will most likely add many quotes from the movie to our random quote stash (which means we will add it to every day conversation and most people will have ZERO idea what on earth we are talking about.) All in all it was an action packed night. (And for those of you so concerned, Rhonda's car is fine. Her transmission connection wire-thingy (you heard me) had come loose and now is reconnected. The Mini is back to zipping around town.)

Today was a day of errands . . . We went to Costco to look at desks and furniture . . . picked up my new curtains (yay! I'm so excited to have lovely valances . . . though not all of them are in yet so for now it will just be a half-way thing :) ) We went to the gym (it was shoulders, chest and triceps day for me. It hurts to be typing right now) and then we came home, got ready and went right back out to get some more curtain supplies. THEN we went to dinner at the Elephant Bar (mmmm cashew chicken and lava cake . . . mmmmm) then went to see Superman Returns (mmmmm Superman . . . . mmmmmm so pretty . . . . mmmmmmmmm) Another recommendation from me. Besides Brandon Routh being GORGEOUS, he did such a good job and was so much like the original (in my opinion) it was almost scary . . . I LOVE the Superman story and the music . . . and everything about it (except the two elderly ladies behind us providing commentary the ENTIRE TWO AND A HALF HOURS. I thought old people went to bed early? What's with them being at a 9:40 movie huh?? They didn't even like it! Thought it was "too violent at the beginning" Whatever!) Like I said, I loved it, loved it, loved it. It brings back such fond childhood memories for me and I get all emotional just thinking about it. Plus did I mention Brandon Routh is hot? Well, he is.

So now, I am home, it's 1 AM, Matt is still sleeping . . . and I'm dreaming of Superman. Do you think Matt will care if we name our first son Kal-el? It's not that weird is it??? I mean really! Just look at him!!!

Sigh. Sigh again. Sigh a third time for effect.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Kate you crack me up!! Thanks for the giggles!

Melinda said...

As I've always said, it's the tall dark and handsome men, baby!!!

HaLaine said...

Well Kate, Frank has now decided that our twin boys will be Jack and Lex. So you if you name your first son Kal-el, they can be best buds...or mortal enemies. Either one. Deal? Deal.