Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lightning and Childhood Memories


Last night we had the COOLEST Monsoon lightening storm in the northern part of Phoenix where we live. The lightning was very close to our house and very close to the ground and you could see the dark clouds and feel the electricity in the air . . .

When I was a little girl in Denver we used to lay outside in our huge yard and watch the lightening storms. I loved just laying in the grass and watching the bolts of light fly across the sky. As I got older, when there were huge thunder and lightening storms in Utah, all four of us kids would pile into my Mom's tiny day bed and we'd count the seconds between the lightening and the thunder to find out how far away the storm was.

Last night I sort of did the same thing . . .

It was ridiculously hot, so I didn't lay outside for long (I went inside, turned out all the lights and watched from my bed!!), but I got to watch some amazing lightening and I was so happy.

Then I was remembering a specific thunder storm when I was in high school . . . I think it was just Julia, Katy and I, but Hannah may have been there too . . . Katy was TERRIFIED of the storm and when the first really loud thunder clashed, she came BARRELING across the floor screaming at the top of her lungs and she jumped on top of Julia on the couch. Mike and Jennifer (my aunt and uncle) were living in the basement at the time and the loud running really made them mad, so Mike came up and got mad at us. Katy, in the true Katy fashion said to him as he walked down the stairs "you two just go down stairs, take off your clothes and have see . . . . ven children" Something we still say to this day!

Anyway, this is a picture I found on the internet of the kind of lightening that hits the Valley during these Monsoon storms. It's amazing isn't it?! This is the kind of lightning I was watching last night!

Anyway, to sum it all up, the storm last night was very cool and I am so glad I have so many fun memories of lightning!


No comments: